When all the movements, facial expressions and body language of a character fall to computer imagery, the human element relies heavily upon the emotion and tone of the voice performance. There are hundreds of incredible voice performances in the history of animated movies, but here are 20 we can’t get enough of, along with a line so quotable you may have to read this entire post aloud.
- Betty Lou Gerson as Cruella de Vil in 101 Dalmations
Standout line: Blast this wretched, wretched pen!
- Liam Neeson as Good Cop / Bad Cop in The Lego Movie
Standout line: Get off my train.
- Chris Williams as Oaken The Shopkeeper in Frozen
Standout line: Yoohoo! Big summer blowout!
- Jeremy Irons as Scar in The Lion King
Standout line: I’m surrounded by idiots.
- Eddie Murphy as Donkey in Shrek
Standout line: I’m all alone, there’s no one here besiiide me…
- Sterling Holloway as Kaa in The Jungle Book
Standout line: Ooh, my s-s-sinus.
- Jane Horrocks as Babs in Chicken Run
Standout line: I don’t want to be a pie – I don’t like gravy.
- Ertha Kitt as Yzma in The Emperor’s New Groove
Standout line: Why do we even *have* that lever?
- Sacha Baron Cohen as King Julien in Madagascar
Standout line: We’re hiding. Be quiet, everyone. Including me. Shh! Who’s making that noise? Oh it’s me again.
11.Vin Diesel as The Iron Giant in The Iron Giant
Standout line: I am not a gun.
- Ellen Degeneres as Dory in Finding Nemo
Standout line: Just keep swimming.
- Steve Carell as Gru in Despicable Me
Standout line: Three little kittens love to play. They had fun in the sun all day. Then their mother came out and said, ‘Time for kittens to go to bed’. Wow, this is garbage. You actually like this?
- Woody Allen as Z in Antz
Standout line: I think everything must go back to the fact that I had a very anxious childhood. My mother *never* had time for me. You know, when you’re – when you’re the middle child in a family of five million, you don’t get any attention. I mean, how is that possible?
- Peter Sallis As Wallace in Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of The Where-Rabbit
Standout line: I do like a bit of gorgonzola.
- Robin Williams as The Genie in Aladdin
Standout line: First, that fez and vest combo is much too third century. These patches. What are we trying to say? Beggar? No. Let’s work with me here.
- Bob Peterson as Dug in Up
Standout line: Squirrel!
- Antonio Banderas as Puss in Boots in Shrek
Standout line: For you baby, I could be.
- Brad Bird as Edna Mode in The Incredibles
Standout line: No Capes!
- Tim Allen and Tom Hanks as Buzz and Woody in Toy Story
Standout line (Buzz): I don’t believe that man has ever been to medical school.
Standout line (Woody): That wasn’t flying! That was falling with style.
- George Sanders as Shere Khan in Jungle Book
Standout line: Oh no I can’t be bothered with that. I have no time for that sort of nonsense.